5-Day Cob + Straw Immersion$875
June 22 - June 26 Contact
$875 Early Bird Rate (register 30 days in advance)
$975 Regular Rate
5% discount for family + friends participating together!
DATES: This course is offered 2 times- May 10-14th or June 22-26th
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS: 15
INSTRUCTORS: Greg + Rebecca
Our Immersion is our most popular course, and is designed to provide a full understanding of some common natural wall systems: cob, strawbale, and slip-straw. We will be working on two demonstration cottages (12’x12’ or smaller): one of cob, and one with straw-based walls. Expect to leave the workshop with the confidence and knowledge to take on your own natural building project.
You will gain insight into which wall systems fit your potential projects best, how to combine different natural materials, how to organize an efficient worksite, and what tools + materials you’ll need to acquire.
* mixing cob by foot, and by machine
* building with cob
* installing straw bales and slip-straw within a structural wood frame
* preparing a strawbale wall for plaster
* mixing and applying clay plasters
* installing windows/doors
* “Drainage, Footings + Foundations”
* “Roofing Options”
* “Cob vs. Strawbale: the thermal spectrum + hybrid designs”
* CAMPUS TOUR! – We’ll get to tour all the campus buildings while discussing building methods, plus general Q+A
* LOCAL HOME TOUR! we will take an afternoon to tour 2 strawbale homes – the homeowners will cover: “the owner/builder experience”, “timber framing”, and “off-grid technologies”
How is the 4-day course different from the 5-day version? The 4-day and 5-day Immersions cover the same curriculum, but the 5-day allows for more time with each topic. Our 5-day also includes an afternoon tour to two, local natural homes!
For more information, check out the workshops page on our website.