5-week Apprenticeship Immersion$2,750
May 21, 2018 - June 23, 2018 Contact
Timeline: May 21st – June 23rd
Group size: 6 apprentices
- We will focus our time on a start-to-finish cottage. It will have strawbale exterior walls, cob interior walls, an earthen floor, cob sculptural details, a green roof, and a rubble-trench foundation. The finishes will be natural clay and lime plasters, inside and out.
- You will help me instruct a weekend “Intro to Cob” Workshop, in which we will construct part of a cob garden wall
- We will undoubtedly do some finishing work on one of our many unfinished buildings on our campus (most likely the dining building, or bathroom/greenhouse)
- rubble-trench foundation
- cob by human power
- cob by machine
- living roof construction
- making/applying natural plasters; both clay-based and lime-based
- natural finishes on drywall
- making/applying natural paints
- earthen floors
- using roundwood lumber
- using dimensional lumber
- installing doors and windows
- simple wiring
- rainwater catchment
We’ve decided that the simplest option is for apprentices to provide their own meals. We will provide a nice kitchen space to cook in, that is solely dedicated to our apprentices. We also have a garden that can be harvested from, to supplement other groceries.
- there will be a tiny sleeping cottage for every student
- compost toilets
- hot outdoor shower
- pond for swimming!
- Community space to hang out in during unscheduled time
- Fire pit for evening gathering
Our work week:
We will be working/learning between 8:30 AM and 5:30 PM each day (Monday through Friday), with a midday break for lunch and rest. Weekends will be unscheduled time.
find the application at www.muddauberschool.com