- This event has passed.
8-Day Cob and Straw Immersion720-850
June 17 - June 24 Contact
Earliest Bird: $720 (90 days advance payment)
Early Bird: $785 (30 days advance payment)
Regular Rate: $850
Additional Discount: 10% for family and friends participating together
This workshop is intended for those who want to build something substantial, even a home! We will be covering all aspects of natural building, from foundation to roof.
Our workshops emphasize hands-on learning. Most of our day is spent on site (typically 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM, with a leisurely lunch break), working with our bodies. This is complimented by sit-down discussion/presentation. Some of what you will learn:
- mixing cob
- building with cob – applying, trimming, sculpting
- wattle-and-daub building
- strawbale and/or “balecob” wall installation
- slip-straw interior wall installation
- planning for and installing a roof
- mixing and applying natural plasters and paints
- earthen floor considerations
- general design discussion
- installing windows and doors in natural wall systems
- discussion on passive solar and thermal properties of different natural materials
- thorough presentation/discussion on foundation options, and hands-on practice
- discussion on permitting, and a home tour of natural homes in the area
We always include a home tour mid-week, to see some local natural buildings. We will give a tour of our own home, and then take a field trip to see at least two others, with plenty of Q+A with the owner/builders.
Your hard work will be rewarded with three delicious, wholesome meals per day. We source local, organic produce when possible, and emphasize whole, real foods. Our cook will make mostly vegetarian meals, with an occasional meat option. Dietary restrictions can be accommodated. We will fire up our cob oven for a pizza dinner one night during the week!
There is a hot shower available, and compost toilet facilities. Tent sites are available at no extra cost, and there are several earthen, one-room sleeping cottages available for rent ($80/week).
Please feel welcome to contact Greg with any questions: 315-657-3980, or firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit our website, muddauberschool.com, to register.