- This event has passed.
8-day Cob and Straw Immersion
June 5, 2016 @ 9:00 am - June 12, 2016 @ 2:00 pm Contact
$825 full tuition
15% discount for registration 90 days in advance, 10% for 30 days in advance, 10% additional discount for family and friends attending together
This workshop is intended for those who want to build something substantial, even an entire house! We will be constructing a tiny sleeping cottage together, the ideas of which can be scaled up for your own future project. Our focus will be cob, but we will work also with strawbales, and with compressed earth blocks (CEBs).
The building we work on will be small – likely 60 to 80 square feet inside. It will be designed to accommodate a bed, some simple storage, and possibly a small fireplace.
Our workshops emphasize hands-on learning. Most of our day is spent on site (typically 9:00 AM – 5:30 PM, with a leisurely lunch break), working with our bodies. This is complimented by sit-down discussion/presentation. Some of what you will learn:
- planning for windows and doors (and installing some windows!)
- mixing cob by foot vs. mixing cob by machine
- building with cob
- strawbale wall installation
- compressed-earth block building (using a human-powered press)
- planning for a roof, and installing the roof framing
- mixing and applying clay plasters
- earthen floor design considerations
- general design discussion and model-making
- discussion on passive solar and thermal properties of different natural materials
- discussion on foundations, and opportunity to practice good stone-stacking principles
- discussion on permitting, touring permitted strawbale homes
We always include a home tour mid-week, to see some local natural buildings. We will give a tour of our own home, and then take a field trip to see at least two others, with plenty of Q+A with the owner/builders.
Your hard work will be rewarded with three delicious, wholesome meals per day. We source local, organic produce when possible, and emphasize whole, real foods. Mostly our cook will make vegetarian meals, with an occasional meat option. Dietary restrictions can be accommodated. We will fire up our cob oven for a pizza dinner one night during the week!
There is a hot shower available, and compost toilet facilities. Tent sites are available at no extra cost, and there are several earthen, one-room sleeping cottages available for rent ($80/week).
Please feel welcome to contact Greg with any questions: 315-657-3980, or firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit our website, muddauberschool.com, to register.