- This event has passed.
Introduction to Cob Workshop$399
April 24, 2017 - April 28, 2017 Contact
Dates: April 24 – April 28, 2017
Location: Keystone Heights, Florida
Come and join us down in sunny Florida this spring for our Introduction to Cob Workshop! We will be constructing a small cob shed. A perfect project for beginners and experts alike!
This workshop is a great experience to learn how to build with cob and to get a broad learning overview of natural building techniques. You will get a solid foundation in cob building fundamentals. We will be constructing cob walls on a 140 square foot cob shed and studying Natural Building together each day. After this workshop, you will have the basic know-how and confidence to design and build your own simple cob constructions or cob building.
Hands-On Work Topics:
– How to make cob (with tarps and feet)
– Selecting and testing soils for cob (Learn several ways to test your soil composition)
– Building cob walls (learn my four steps to efficient cob wall building)
– Installing window and door frames (attaching frames to cob walls)
– Carving out wall niches (add extra depth and character to your cob house)
– Earthen Plaster Demonstration (learn to mix and apply earth plaster)
Classroom and Discussion Topics:
– Site selection and design (includes Passive Solar design principles)
– Materials and tools (covers traditional and modern cob building toolset and materials)
– Rubble trench foundations (Plus general foundation building)
– Drainage principles (Important: water can be cob’s worst enemy)
– Basic Electrical and Plumbing integration for cob homes
– Installing windows and doors
– Roofing and Bond Beams
– Natural plasters and finishes (Vapor Permeable / “Breathable” finishes)
– Overview of Natural Building materials
This workshop is a unique experience for people to learn about building cob homes and to get an overview of Natural Building. Not only are there plenty of hands-on lessons to learn from, but we will also have ample discussion and informal classroom time. Most cob workshops don’t cover this many topics. But here, you will learn all the core lessons needed to start building from this one workshop!
Plus – there will be many hours of discussions about building cob homes and natural building throughout the workshop. Its a great way to get your questions answered and brainstorm your building ideas!
The workshop will be held at a private property in Keystone Heights, Florida.
We will begin each day with a short discussion about cob and natural building topics, and then begin work around 9:00 AM. We will break for lunch at noon and return to our projects at about 1:00 PM. We will complete hands-on work around 5:00 PM, and complete the day with more class discussions. They will be full-packed days! Worth your every penny!
The workshop will be taught by Alex Sumerall, an east coast Natural Builder who has a focus on creating earthen structures that are healthy, aesthetically pleasing, and functional for modern life. He is the owner of This Cob House, LLC, which is dedicated to teaching people about cob and natural building techniques. Alex has a background in business and advertising, and has been practicing Natural Building since 2011. He graduated from the Aprovecho School of Natural Building in 2013 in Cottage Grove, Oregon, and continues to teach, present, consult, and construct.
There are two options for lodging: free camping on site, or making reservations at one of the local hotels.
Camping is FREE and is available throughout the property. There are plenty of great locations to set up a tent here. Campers will have access to a clean bathroom and private outdoor shower.
Meals will not be included in this workshop so participants will need to provide their own food. There are several local restaurants and grocery stores nearby the workshop site.
Everyone who signs up for the workshop will receive my downloadable eBooks, FREE:
- Build a Cob House: A Step-By-Step Guide
- Cob to Code: The Owner-Builder’s Guide to Cob Homes and Building Codes
Early bird special: $399 if you register and pay before April 4th
Regular Price: $499