- This event has passed.
Natural Plasters + Paints$350
May 31, 2018 - June 3, 2018 Contact
Earliest Bird: $350 (90 days advance payment)
Early Bird: $400 (30 days advance payment)
Regular Rate: $450
Additional Discount: 10% for family and friends participating together
Plastering + painting is often the final touch of any natural building project, and it’s like putting the icing on the cake. It’s one of the greatest transformations, seeing a space go from looking like a work site to looking finished and beautiful.
We aim to provide a solid understanding of the basics of mixing and applying during these four days. We will be doing hands-on work on our existing cottages, so you will get experience that will translate directly into doing your own projects and renovations in the future. Expect to learn:
- how to prep for the different layers of plaster
- how to make clay slip from site soil
- how to slake (soak) and store lime putty
- mixing earthen and lime plasters
- applying earthen and lime plasters
- mixing and applying an adhesion coat on straw wall systems, prior to plastering
- decorative plaster opportunities
- using site clay vs. buying bagged clay
- plastering on drywall
- making paints/washes: clay alis, lime/casein paint, limewash
- applying the different paints and washes
- using the right plastering tools properly, and taking care of them
Three healthful, home-cooked meals are provided each day! You are encouraged to stay on campus throughout, either tenting or renting a cottage. Sharing time in this community of people is a wonderful part of the workshop experience.