2-Day Cob Oven
October 15, 2022 - October 16, 2022$350
Cob ovens are an inexpensive type of wood-fired oven. They can be used to make delicious pizza, bread, roasted veggies, baked beans, etc…. anything you can do in a conventional oven, but with more evenly-distributed heat, better flavor, and more opportunity to make baking into a fun event.
In addition to constructing a complete, basic oven, we will simultaneously be building a connected countertop. The countertop will be a great introduction to building with cob, and combining it with strawbales in a hybrid system.
* installing the subfloor insulation layer, and the thermal mass subfloor
* installing the firebrick floor
* constructing the thermal cob dome
* installing an insulation dome
* mixing and applying a scratch plaster
* building a cob and strawbale countertop base
* different options for cob oven design (chimneys, size variation, sculptural layers…)
* how to fire and use a cob oven! (we will use one for a pizza dinner!)
8:30-12:30 Morning work session
12:30-2:00 Lunch + Discussion
2:00-5:30 Afternoon work session
5:30-6:30 Shower, relax
6:30 Dinner! (no dinner on Day 2)
Other schedule items:
Day 1: 8:30 AM Orientation, 6:30 PM PIZZA PARTY!