2-Day Cob Oven$350
April 23 - April 24 Contact
$350 Early Bird Rate (register 30 days in advance)
$390 Regular Rate
5% discount for family + friends participating together!
DATES: This course is offered 2 times- April 23/24th, or May 28/29th
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS: 15
INSTRUCTORS: Greg + Rebecca
Cob ovens are an inexpensive type of wood-fired oven. They can be used to make delicious pizza, bread, roasted veggies, baked beans, etc…. anything you can do in a conventional oven, but with more evenly-distributed heat, better flavor, and more opportunity to make baking into a fun event.
In addition to constructing a complete, basic oven, we will simultaneously be building a connected countertop. The countertop will be a great introduction to building with cob, and combining it with strawbales in a hybrid system.
* installing the subfloor insulation layer, and the thermal mass subfloor
* installing the firebrick floor
* constructing the thermal cob dome
* installing an insulation dome
* mixing and applying a scratch plaster
* building a cob and strawbale countertop base
* different options for cob oven design (chimneys, size variation, sculptural layers…)
* how to fire and use a cob oven! (we will use one for a pizza dinner!)