4-Day Cob + Straw Immersion$550
September 23 - September 26 Contact
$550 Early Bird Discount (register before August 10th, 2021)
$600 Regular Fee
5% discount for family + friends participating together!
INCLUDED: 3 vegetarian meals a day (with one cob oven pizza party!), coffee + tea, space to set up a tent, access to our community bathhouse (hot showers and compost toilets)
**Inquire about renting a sleeping cottage for $20/night: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will cover a lot of material in 4 days! Expect to leave the workshop with the confidence and knowledge to take on your own natural building project.
Join us in the construction of a tiny natural tool shed – we will build as much as we can in 4 days, with the goal of beginning to integrate the roof system! The exterior wall system will be a combination of cob/earthen walls, strawbale walls, and slip-straw walls. The foundation will be completed prior to the workshop, but we will have other hands-on foundation experience available during the course.
Our hands-on learning will cover:
– mixing cob by machine and by foot
– building and sculpting with cob
– mixing and installing slip-straw
– installing straw bales, and preparing them for plaster
– mixing and applying earthen plasters
– installing a window and/or door
– practice building foundations
– integrating a roof system atop a cob wall
Discussion topics include:
– “drainage, footings, and foundations”
– “roofing options”
– “cob vs strawbale: the thermal spectrum + hybrid designs”