- This event has passed.
6-Day Natural Building Immersion$875
September 21, 2020 - November 26, 2020 Contact
$875 Early Bird Discount (register before August 15th, 2020)
$950 Regular Fee
10% discount for family + friends participating together!
Join us in constructing a meditation cottage with natural materials! We will build cob walls using an engineered forming system, as well as strawbale and slip-straw walls. Many of the materials we use will be harvested directly from the site, in combination with other locally-sourced products. This class is designed so that you leave with the knowledge to take on your own substantial project. Enjoy six days of meaningful hands-on work, as well as a sense of community with the group that you will be building, eating, and relaxing with!
– How to mix cob by foot, and by machine
– How to install cob, and sculpt with it
– How to prepare for a strawbale wall system, and how to install the bales
– Preparing strawbale walls for plaster
– Installing slip-straw walls
– Natural plastering on natural wall systems (clay plasters, and lime)
– The thermal spectrum: “from cob to strawbale”
– How to build a good foundation and good roof
– Building details with cob and strawbale
The worksite is in beautiful Saxapahaw, NC, on a rural property. Our home base for the workshop will be at our Mud Dauber School campus, where there are the following amenities available:
– free tent sites
– several natural sleeping huts available for rent
– hot showers
– a swimming pond
– electricity and drinking water
– a fire pit for evening campfires
– a cob oven for pizza night
– a hot breakfast each morning before we leave for the worksite
We hope you can join us!