- This event has passed.
3-Day Cob + Straw Immersion
October 7, 2022 - October 9, 2022$525
Our Immersion is our most popular course, and is designed to provide an understanding of some common natural wall systems: cob, strawbale, and slip-straw. The course emphasizes hands-on learning, and working with multiple wall systems will provide you with insight into which will fit your potential projects best.
To supplement our hands-on work sessions, we’ll tour many of the demonstration buildings on our campus to share a variety of options regarding roofing, foundations, and finishing work. For key topics not covered in hands-on work, we will have discussions/Q+A sessions (see topics below).
* mixing cob by foot, and by machine
* building with cob
* installing a small strawbale wall and preparing it for plaster
* mixing and installing slip-straw within a stud framework
* mixing and applying clay plasters
* installing windows
* “Rubble Trench Foundations”
* “Cob vs. Strawbale: the thermal spectrum + hybrid designs”
* CAMPUS TOUR! – We’ll get to tour all the campus buildings while discussing building methods, plus general Q+A
Expect to leave the workshop with the confidence and knowledge to take on your own natural building project!
9:00-12:45 Morning work session
1:45-5:30 Afternoon work session
5:30-6:30 Unscheduled (shower, relax)
6:30 Dinner! (no dinner on final day)
Other schedule items:
Day 1: 9:00 AM Orientation
Day 2: 4:30-5:30 Q+A
Day 2: 6:30 PM Pizza Party Dinner!
Day 3: 4:30 PM Closing Circle