Work Exchange & Work Parties

Work Exchange: Offer labor for education and experience.
Work Party: Ask for help on your building project in exchange for sharing your knowledge.
Connect…

Message

• Jennifer says:

Hi! We are in Fayetteville, AR and would like to use cobb to convert a beautiful 1920s barn into a liveable space. We can provide food and accommodation. Located on a 6 acre farm complete with spring fed creek, orchard, farm animals, and lots of vision!

If interested, reach out and I can send more info, photos, etc. Would love to gather a work party for October/November 2021.

• HJEngland says:

Hello all! I’m an artist in the Northeast, and I have a lovely 5 acre piece of property in Pine Hill New Mexico, and I will start building a small cob house and separate/adjacent art studio there in the spring of 2022 to relocate to permanently. Free camping and food provided — plus a wash area — there is no electric or utilities on the property. We will be living in our camper too while we are building, so it will be a community campsite while the project goes on. I have taken some courses in cob building, but I would love and welcome others who would like to come and start putting their skills into practice! If you will be in the area of northwestern New Mexico from April 2022 onward, we would love to work with you! You can contact me at hjeartist@gmail.com for more information, etc.

• C says:

I am interested in work exchange – located in PA and willing to travel for an extended stay.

Have some knowledge of cob building and looking for hands on experience.
    2021camper2021@protonmail.com

• Hi there! My husband and I are looking to learn homesteading and natural building skills. Specifically, cob . We are open to doing work exchange in order to learn those skills for 1-3 months. We have a host of skills we would love to share in exchange. My husband is a sculptor, builder, metal worker, and visual artist. I am an herbalist, writer/performer, veteran event coordinator/producer, and caterer. Shorter intervals in the New York/New Jersey/Connecticut/Pennsylvania area are also an potentiality as that is close to where we are based.

• Ellie says:

Hi!
    I am looking to volunteer to learn about cob building. I am an architectural designer by trade, but truly have a love for how the spaces we create can support us spiritually. I would love to be apart of this collaborative opportunity. I am willing to travel from Austin, TX. I can offer a week of time, as this will be a first cob building experience for me

• Jennifer says:

Hi! We are in Fayetteville, AR and would like to use cobb to convert a beautiful 1920s barn into a liveable space. We can provide food and accommodation. If interested, reach out and I can send more info, photos, etc.

• Bethany A Hays says:

I would like to volunteer on natural building projects in order to learn more about different techniques. I have basic building skills (I’ve built a shed, use power tools, and do basic home repair), and I would like to expand upon them as I look forward to starting a community project on land in the future. I currently live in Portland, OR and could travel in Washington or Oregon for opportunities. My time available will be limited to long weekends (Fri-Sun) as I am a teacher.

I appreciate any opportunities!

• Hello! I just got back from Portugal where I got an advanced certificate in cob building after building a cob sauna with reciprocal roof. My partner and I just bought a piece of near cooperstown new york and we will be experimenting with some small scale (oven, studio) cob building there. May host a workshop. I am also looking to connect and learn more. If there are people in the NY, ME or CT area as well as DC and Maryland we have land work in each of those areas and so can connect with others in those areas easily.

• hannah says:

hey melissa. i am currently in virginia, but from NJ. I am interested in learning about cob building and helping out on a project. i think my friend might have been in the same program in portugal as you. lauren? anyway, hope to hear back from you!

• Tessa Goble says:

Hello,
    I would love to offer my time and labor for education and experience! I’m an interior designer jaded with current construction methods, and I would love to be a part of cobbing the way to new building and design practices.
    I live in San Diego but am willing to travel.

• Jacob Hurst says:

Hello,

I am looking for more information how a cob building apprenticeship

• Carissa Galgano says:

I would love to learn more About how to do this. I am in New Haven County. Are there any workshops or one on one hands on opportunities?

• James says:

Cordwood sleeper cabin build in planning for early July, Asheville, NC message me if interested in participating in a work party.

Villagebuilder001@gmail.com

• James Toye says:

#startoothfarm near Salem, SC We are harvesting building materials from our wood lot and planning out different building projects for the 2021 season June – November.
    Currently we are processing pine timbers for roundwood construction and cordwood. We’ll be build a small cob oven in May with other outdoor cook stoves to follow. There is a log cabin and a barn on the farm, we plan to start making repairs and improvements to these structures in June. Several small bottle art projects will happen over the summer. As we get closer to fall we’ll be building a rocket mass heater, outdoor hot tubs, and a well house using the slip clay straw method. We will also be engaging in some hemp-lime research this year to help prepare us for some natural remolding projects that will happen in 2022. If you’re in the area and would like to get some hands on experience or if you would like to come visit the farm send me and email, I can give you more details on current projects and the farm.

• Spencer Maroukis says:

Hello, I’m looking for cob workshops or work exchange on the west Coast between Aug-Nov 2021 or on the east coast afterwards (Nov +). Any help is appreciated!

• Debbie Esser-Swanson says:

Do you have dates in mind? I have helped with cob in the past and would love to again. I would camp probably if there is space for that.

Deb

• MaddieandWednesday says:

Hi! My wife and I are trying to start up a homestead and we want to build our home out of cob! We are in the desert area by belen, New Mexico! Its beautiful here and if we can get some volunteers to come and learn cob with us! Close enough to Los Lunas if you don’t want to camp and good and water will be provided! Animal lovers will love it!

• MaddieandWednesday says:

Sorry! Food will be provided.

• Suzanne says:

Hi Maddie and Wednesday,
      I have been wanting to learn Cob for a while. Im in Phoenix and just did a motorcycle trip through Taos, Sante Fe. Do you have any building/learning opportunities in the coming months…July, August, September?

I would love the opportunity.

• SophiaDY says:

Hi yall! My boyfriend and I would love to help with a build. It would be our first but excited to lend a hand and learn! We’re driving through from Fort Worth. We are available early July and late Aug/Sept.

• rebecca antsis says:

Greetings Maddie!

I would be interested to learn more. My husband and I will be doing an art residency in New Mexico in mid to late September. Are you still needing assistance?

All the best,
      Rebecca

• Beck says:

Hi all- an update from my last post. I just participated in the CruzinCobGlobal workshop where we built a cob oven and benches in Soquel with Claudine Desiree, it was an awesome experience- life altering. I absolutely loved it. While Im going to do more of her workshops in the future, I want to get cob certified with her foundation to roof build, but in the mean time, Im looking for a local community in Los Angeles or SoCal. Any natural build workshops here? Thank you!

• Heatherx5 says:

Hello, looking to see if there is any courses near New Hampshire for cobb house building. Very interested in cobb and learning more about it. Thanks Heather

• Kerri McBride says:

I’m interested in learning how to build cobb structures. Family of five looking to buy land and begin building with COB in the next year or two. please email kerri2686@gmail.com. Thanks!

• Sarah Zinn says:

I’m interested in learning how to build cobb structures from someone with experience, and will offer my labor in exchange for some instruction while building

• Leslie Tetrault says:

Hello, I am planning to build a Cobb house this spring as soon as I can get started. I am interested in work exchange and work party. I have a spot to build but I do not have a car. I am getting help from a couple of friends also.

I live in Warren, New Hampshire

• Robyn Cornwell says:

Hi Leslie,
      I have some experience with cob building from taking a class in Tennessee a few years ago. It is not clear what you envision regarding the help that you want. For example, where would one stay while helping you? I live in Vermont about an hour north of you so it would be an easy commute.

• Heatherx5 says:

Hi Lesli, I am also interested. I am very close to you. I live in New Hampshire too. I would be willing to help out with a work/exchange party. I have no experience but have been looking into cobb building myself. If your able to set up a person with experience to build cobb I would be willing to come and help out. Message me and we can keep in touch. Heather

• Beck Starr says:

Hey there- Im interested in learning to build with cob, I’d like to exchange my time for education in the craft. I feel a calling to this work, a continual tugging on both my body and spirit. As a visual artist I’ve been detached from the physical side of expression for too long. Building has always been an interest since early childhood. I have some light construction experience. I’m a hard worker and unique thinker, I’m creative, honest and strong. Please contact me if there’s an opportunity in California. I’m in Los Angeles but I’m willing to travel a few hours to participate. Thank you. beck@beckstarr.com

• Kelsey Sharp says:

Hi, I am a woman interested in sustainable living and natural building. I will offer labor, a strong work ethic, and a positive attitude in exchange for hands-on experience and education. I live in Santa Cruz, CA and am willing to drive up to 6 hours, give or take, to participate in building parties. Please reach out anytime you need help.

Sincerely,
    Kelsey

• MaddieandWednesday says:

Hi! My name is Maddie and my wife is wednesday. I saw that you were interested in helping with a cob project! My wife and I are trying to build a homestead in the desert of New Mexico. We have an acre of land and a basic design for our house but we need some help! Food and water will be provided and you would be free to camp on our land during your stay! We live 15 minutes ish outside a small town, 40 ish from a small city, and an hour from albuquerque.

Please let me know if you are interested! My email is maddielyon@gmail.com

Thank you!
      -Maddie and Wednesday

• Sim says:

I’m interested in working or volunteering on a natural building project. I have no natural building experience but i have a little bit of carpentry experience. I’m based in Miami but willing to travel (US or Canada).
    Also side note if anyone knows of any good college natural building programs lmk

• Leslie Tetrault says:

I am building as soon as I can start in Warren, New Hampshire. I have no experience either. carpentry would be helpful as I do not have much experience with that beyond whittling

• MaddieandWednesday says:

Please let me know if you are interested! My email is maddielyon@gmail.com

Thank you!
      -Maddie and Wednesday

• Evan David Bohn says:

I am going to be traveling around the western US this spring/summer (2021) and I am very interested in seeing how cob buildings are built. Please send me an email at evanbohn99@gmail.com if you have an opportunity for me. I am very hard working, I am a musician, I enjoy good food, movies and world travel.

• Kat says:

I’m looking at properties in Connecticut and am hoping to start building with COB in the next year or two. Full disclosure, I have no experience, this will be a learning project for everyone. If you would like to be notified when we have a start date, please email silverfaewellness@gmail.com. Thanks!

• Tiffany says:

I’m considering moving back to the west coast. Most likely Oregon or Washington. I’d love to build a cob house. But I’m wondering if that sort of thing can be facilitated from a distance? We are still on the east coast and would need to have the house built and ready by the time we arrive. Is that unusual? I realize most owners want to be involved in the building process. But for us, it’s more important to have a place to crash when we get there. Or should I just rent and RV or try camping? How are these types of things usually handled?
    Thanks!

• Robyn Cornwell says:

I would never hire someone from such a distance to build something that you cannot supervise! I have lived in Oregon though I am now in Vermont and if you don’t know the territory or have not been there for quite a while in that state you could be in for a big surprise.
      Robyn

• Madeleine says:

I am interested in helping to build a cod house, I am about to graduate college at HSU but classes are online now and I am seeking a more connected way of education and I would to apply it to my real life and I start to make a life for myself.

• MaddieandWednesday says: